Written language can be compared to a code, so knowing the sounds of letters and letter combinations will help your child decode words as they read and know which letters to use as they write words. Phonics is the connection between printed letters (and combinations of letters) and speech sounds and is a critical aspect for successful literacy learning.
Ages 2.8 - 4 (attending K1)
For students to build phonics understanding before entering kindergarten.
Students will learn:
- basic letter sounds
- principles of decoding words
- hear and say different sounds
- introduction to blending sounds
- pronouncing sounds correctly
Ages 4 - 6 (attending K2/K3)
For students to learn how to use phonics skills when reading and writing.
Students will build on Foundation Phonics to:
- pronounce sounds correctly
- develop letter formation for early writing skills
- segment and manipulate sounds and use more than one syllable
- read stories